Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Class Sweatshirt

As many of you know, I'm a member of Lick-Wilmerding High School's Class of 2016 and a few months ago, we were given class sweatshirts:




(This is post-cutting-the-neck. Crew necks always make me feel claustrophobic.)

I know I ordered a small, but I was given a medium when the sweatshirts were handed out so this thing is huuuuuuge. The StuCo guy who gave it to me said "Just do one of your sewing-thingys with it" and that's exactly what I did.

This project had two parts. First part: Tuesday Tie-Dye at Camp Mather.

I don't have any process photos of Part 1 because I didn't have my phone, but here is the after pic:


A girl I met at camp gave me this awesome tip for wearing oversized sweatshirts: Roll up the sleeves and fold the bottom ribbing under, which gave it a cool poof effect at the bottom. 


I'm just in love with the tie-dye burst on the back! Love love love!


I matched the sleeves up when I rubber-banded pre-dye so the stripes are even on each side.

Then I took all the t-shirts I've gotten from various school events, cut out the graphics and pinned them on the shirt.



The shirts were then hand-stitched on with a whipstitch and my favorite white button craft thread! Love button craft thread! 


Sewing sewing sewing. I watched so much Project Runway while doing this. Tooooons of stitches. Lots of thread.


But it was soooo worth it. This sweatshirt came out spectacularly. It went from baggy, gray sweatshirt to colorful, artistic sweater that is visually interesting and totally a statement. And whenever I wear it, I'm repping my school! What more could a high schooler want?







I'm considering taking off the enormous patch on the left arm and just using "Champions" and "Roar". I feel like the whole graphic is really heavy with too much text, and you can't really read it on my arm. If I decide to change it, I'll post more photos.

Until next time readers!
-Taft W-K














No comments:

Post a Comment