Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Braided Rug: Part 1

Over the last year or so, I've had the wonderful opportunity to work at Little Artistas, a children's art studio in my neighborhood. The owner recently hired me to sew them a rug for the studio from recycled fabrics - and it's been so much fun!

I don't have pictures of all the materials, but I started with several balls of strips of fabric in a variety of colors. The plan is to start with the warm colors (pink first) and slowly swap them out with cool colors until we get to gray. 

You might have seen the beginning of the project on Instagram: 

A photo posted by Taft Weber-Kilpack (@taftisseamstress) on

Since then, I've just been braiding and sewing! Thank goodness for my industrial machine, there's no other way we could have sewn this rug without it. 





Here's another picture from Instagram:

A photo posted by Taft Weber-Kilpack (@taftisseamstress) on




I got a batch of extra large needles for my machine - and they're awesome! It made the sewing for this project so much faster because you don't have to worry about the needle breaking. 


Here's all the warm colors....



And we've started to get to the cooler colors!



It kind of reminds me of a sunrise...


There will be another post in a few weeks about finishing this project - I absolutely love how it turned out!
-Taft WK


1 comment:

  1. This is CRAZYYY!! Congratulations, Taft!

    ReplyDelete