Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Reupholstered Chair

This one has been in the works for a looooong time, my friends.

We saw this chair while driving home one day (just sitting on the sidewalk next to some other free stuff) and my friend and I walked back to it and walked it home on a couple skateboards.


I loved the shape of it and, after getting rid of my desk, really wanted a chair in my room. However, this thing was pretty gross; the fabric was ripping and stuffing was falling out.



My mom and I got to work (I don't think you realized how long "in the works for a looooong time" means: we started in January 2013. Yeah.) and used upholstery fabric samples to recover the (chair.

I really don't know why we have (well, had because it's mostly on the chair now) so much upholstery fabric samples. They just seem to appear in our closet at all the best times :)



My mom did the back and seat (isn't she just magical? It fits like a glove.) and I took care of the skirt (LUUUURRRRVE the polka dots!).




Unfortunately, the staple gun we used the first time around was not quite strong enough and the skirt started to come off last winter. During Ski Week, I finally got around to getting the heavy-duty staple gun from downstairs (nothing like a heavy-duty staple gun to make you feel like a badass) and reattaching the skirt.



The leopard fabric on the seat is one of my favorites. As long as I can remember, we've always had a little of it left in the closet. We used it when we decorated my bedskirt and made my curtain (also from upholstery fabric samples....where is it all coming from?!) and now there's just a little left in the scrap boxes (Yes, that was plural. We have multiple scrap boxes and Sheldon tried to start another last weekend.). I'll make sure to do something extra special with it.


I'll keep you posted on the status of our scrap buckets :)
-Taft WK

No comments:

Post a Comment