Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Black Sweatpants

Hello, Spring! Hello, lacrosse season!

With all good things come the less than fantastic, mainly freezing your posterior off on the sidelines of a lacrosse game. So to protect against frostbite in the southern regions, I went to Fabric Outlet during their 40% off sale and picked up some sweatshirt fleece with the intention of making this pattern that I got from my grandma:


80's sweatpants! (Mom's nostalgic right now, I just know she is.)

However, when I went to trace the pattern, the sweatpants pattern was missing from the envelope.

So, to the internet we went! 20 minutes and a half dozen crafting sites later, I found this pattern from BurdaStyle. They call them "Jersey Trousers", but those are sweatpants. Come on.



Shut up. They're sweatpants. (He's hands-down my favorite designer from Project Runway. #teamchristopher)

They wanted knit ribbing for the waistband and cuff, but after spending so much on the fleece, I was having none of that. Besides, I'm on the shorter side, so losing that length would probably be perfect.


Cutting out fabric!




I'm especially proud of the pockets on these, I think they look really good! They're enormous, so I'll definitely make the next pair a bit smaller.

The elastic on the cuffs is perfect; tight enough that they don't slip too much but loose enough that I can pull them on over my cleats.

When I first wore them, my friend T made sure that everyone on my team knew that I had made my own pants. She said (and I quote directly) "I will make them listen!" She's the best :)

Next up: a pair of green ones and maybe a pair in a lighter fabric? I'm also considering scaling them up to fit over all my goalie gear.

Stay warm on the sidelines, fellow benchwarmers! And have a lovely spring!
-Taft WK

No comments:

Post a Comment