Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Blue Tunic for Mom


Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...I'm sixteen, y'alls! I can drive now! Isn't that exciting? Except for the part where I can't actually drive cause I haven't learned yet. Meh, all in good time.

Anywho, we're gonna celebrate my birthday by a) posting an extra blog post! and b) talking about my mom and the things I make for her! Because I wouldn't be able to make things if it weren't for her. Cue the "awwww, that's do sweet!". Lets cut the sappy and get to the crafty, okay?

My mom has this tunic that she loves so much and wore until it was so old and ratty, it was too embarassing to wear (it kind of runs in the family, huh?). She asked me to pattern it so we could make some cool, funky tunics in different colors and patterns. 

Same as with the North Face tee, I cut apart the garment and traced the different pieces. Mom picked out this awesome blue fabric at the store, but I'm not really sure what it is. It's a little bit stretchy, but the wrong-side doesn't look like a knit...I don't know. But it still worked for the tunic and she loves it!




There's still a few adjustments to take care of. She wants it a little longer so she can wear leggings with it and wants a couple different neckline variations so not all her tunics look the same. I'm also not totally in love with the fit around the armhole, shoulder and bust. I'm going to mess around with that a little bit until it fits perfectly.


(You can really see from the back how the shoulder area is a bit weird.)


The neckline was finished with a facing and next is my favorite part...


Eeeeeek! I just love the finishing on the back of the tunic! Mom and I both love a pop of color (especially linings and finishings) so I thought she would love this hot pink ribbon on the inside. And it serves a purpose! I just love things that look good and work well. 

All in all, not bad for a first try, huh? Mom already took me back to the store to get more fabric for these tunics, so be on the look out for more!

-Taft W-K

No comments:

Post a Comment