Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, November 5, 2014

White Maxi Skirt

I just loooooove maxi skirts! They're soft, fun to wear and so easy to quickly pull on in the morning when you slept in and are late for school (Who? What? Late for school? Psshhh, not me....). I made yet another maxi skirt from my favorite Alabama Chanin Pattern (here's one from last summer) out of this really cool white polka-dot tissue knit I picked up at Fabric Outlet (during a 40% off sale, of course!). 


The tissue knit was see through, so I made a little skirt with the Short Skirt pattern from the same book to go under it. The two are sewed together at the waistband.


The waistband is really basic, folded over with elastic. I sewing this one with a zig-zag stitch so it could stretch.

Technically, all the Alabama Chanin patterns are made to be hand-sewn, but I'm kind of a cheater. I normally machine stitch the inside seams, but fell them by hand. That way, you get the sturdiness of a garment sewn by hand, but can still see some beautiful hand stitching on the outside.

For this one, I didn't fell the seams because the fabric was reeeeaaallly stretchy and the straight, non-stretch running stitch would not have worked. At all.


The back is marked with some polka dot ribbon (Yay! Ribbon!) and a B, but that's in the magical fabric marker that disappears after being washed (Love it! Use it all the time!)

And here's the back, just for some closure:


As always, I chopped about 6 inches off the hem, plus the train, cause I definitely don't want white fabric dragging on the ground. 

Well, there ya go! I'm definitely going to be wearing this one often during SF's fall heat wave.

-Taft WK






No comments:

Post a Comment