Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Black Half-Circle Skirt

For those of you out there who understand the true horror of junior year at a college prep high school, you'll know exactly what it's like to have hardly any time left for your hobbies. What with 3 Honors classes, costumes for the fall play, a shop class and discovering Gilmore Girls and 30 Rock on Netflix (nope, not ashamed to admit it), sewing unfortunately spent some time on the back burner last semester. I was only able to find little pockets of time here and there to make small projects. 

This one is one of the better ones (meaning, one that was rushed and therefore didn't crash and burn). 



My dog, in a fit of excitement when I got home one day, clawed my favorite flared black skirt and kind of wrecked it. I loved it so much that I still wore it a few more times, but finally had to admit that a dog-clawed skirt is not a good look. 

So, I ignored homework one weekend and made myself a new one! 



The fabric is the same as the fabric used to make the dress in my Halloween costume. I love love love it! It's a thick knit; stretchy but still with some body. 

The hem is folded twice because I don't have a machine that does that really cool hem that's always on t-shirts. Man, I don't even know the right name for it, which makes me feel like a total scrub. However, the twice-folded hem gives the skirt a great shape. See? Take that you fancy-tshirt-hemming-machine-thingy-once-folded-contraption....I still feel like a scrub.



This is an improved version of the completely failed beige striped half-circle skirt you all saw a couple months ago. Instead of cutting on a fold so there was one seam (see? Rushed = Crash + Burn), I cut two pieces so there were side seams and it was much improved. The waistband on this also worked really well - didn't even need elastic! Can't even tell you how much I love this fabric. 


And the back of the skirt...

Here's to all you juniors, trying to hang on to your hobbies this year. 
-Taft WK

No comments:

Post a Comment