Where To Find Me:

Etsy: makingtembo.etsy.com
Instagram: @taftisseamstress
Tumblr: taftisseamstress.tumblr.com


Special Questions? Custom Orders (hint hint wink wink)? : makingtembo@gmail.com



Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Halloween Costume

Alright, it's extremely belated, but I finally sat down to write this post with all you beloved readers in mind...*sniff*...every time I get another view, my heart is touched. 

The concept for this costume was kind of loose. I've wanted to make wings like this for a very long time, but haven't been able to come up with a good enough excuse to do so...until Halloween! The excuse for all things!! (hey, I think that almost rhymed!!)

I found the most perfect fabric at the store and just had to get it. You know how it is. 


This is what I started with, but later took in the sides, hemmed it and shortened the sleeves. 

The bodice and sleeves are from the tunic I made for my mom, with a 1/2 circle skirt attached. 


The fabric is thick and sturdy, so the skirt has a great shape it and moves beautifully when I walk. 


All the top stitching was done in gray thread to make the dress match...




...the wings!

Originally, the wings were going to have more gray in them, but I just couldn't find felt in a shade of gray that worked with this, so I stuck with blue. 


To pattern the wings, I measured my armspan and then from the nape of my neck to the small of my back (mom had to help with this part). Super simple and easy to recreate.


You might recognize the floral fabric from a dress I made earlier this year.


I put elastic on the end of the wings to slip my hands through to keep them on and it ties around my neck with some silver satin ribbon.




So, there you go! A quick, comfy Halloween costume, and I'm definitely recycling the wings and dress for other things. 

Stay tuned, everyone! There's some Winter Break crafting projects coming up soon. 
-Taft





No comments:

Post a Comment